|Fast Facts: Amish|
|Main Location(s)||Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, and Kansas|
|Name Means||After the teachings of Jakob Ammann (c. 1644–c. 1730).|
|Founder(s)||Jakob Amman (1656-1730), a Mennonite leader in Switzerland|
|Beliefs||Same as most Protestant denominations|
|Practices||Communion twice a year; foot washing; separation from the world; speak German and Pennsylvania Dutch; no electricity; plain clothes like 17th-century European peasants; "Running Around" before baptism at age 17-20; shunning|
The Amish (also known as Amish Mennonites) are members of an Anabaptist Christian denomination who are known for their separation from society, rejection of most modern technology, and conservative dress.
Led by Jakob Amman, the Amish separated from the Mennonites in Switzerland around 1693. Less conservative sects were established by Amish immigrants to the United States; today, only the Old Order Amish (founded 1720-40) still maintain Amman's strict customs and policy of non-cooperation with society and government.
There are about 200,000 Old Order Amish living in more than 200 settlements in the United States and Canada; the largest communities are in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, and Kansas; others exist in Wisconsin, Missouri, and Minnesota.
It is common for the Amish to live rurally, where there is land to farm, and to live near other Amish, which enables them to support each other's lifestyle and establish a local congregation of people with similar values.
Table of Contents
- Kraybill, Donald, Concise Encyclopedia of Amish, Brethren, Hutterites, and Mennonites .
- Good, Merle and Phyllis, 20 Most Asked Questions about the Amish & Mennonites .
- Nolt, Steven M., History of the Amish .
- Wagler, Ira, Growing Up Amish: A Memoir .
- Igou, Brad (ed.), The Amish in Their Own Words .
- Miller, Marlene C., Called to Be Amish: My Journey from Head Majorette to the Old Order .
- Jantzi, Marianne, Simple Pleasures: Stories from My Life as an Amish Mother .
- Gingerich, Emma, Runaway Amish Girl: The Great Escape .