|Beliefs||Mix of Anglican, Pentecostal and traditional African beliefs. Strong emphasis on healing and salvation in this life. Afterlife not emphasized.|
|Practices||Spiritual healing is central. Mix of Anglican and African rituals; a prophet plays a prominent role.|
Aladura ("Prayer People") is a Yoruba term for various prophet-healing churches that have developed in west Africa since about 1918.
- Date founded: c.1918-1930
- Place founded: West Nigeria
- Founder: various
- Adherents: approx. 1 million
References & Sources
- - "Aladura." Encyclopædia Britannica (Encyclopædia Britannica Premium Service, 2005).
- "Aladura." John R. Hinnels, ed., The Penguin Dictionary of Religions, 2nd ed. (Penguin Books, 1997).