Glossary of Christianity
This glossary of Christianity provides definitions of terms related to Christianity, with links to full articles where available.
- Metal ties or plates used to fasten together timbers or masonry.
- A halo that surrounds a sacred figure's whole body.
- baptismal cross
- Cross with eight points, symbolizing regeneration.
- budded cross
- Cross with trefoils representing the Trinity.
- Celtic cross
- Cross with a circle around the intersecting bars, often intricately decorated.
- Chi Rho
- Forms appearing like the letter "P" crossed by the letter "X," actually the first two letters of the Greek word for "Christ," chi and rho, used to symbolize the name in Christian iconography.
- Christ Pantocrator
- Christ as "Ruler of the Universe," a common image in Orthodox iconography.
- Council of Nicea
- Council of Christian bishops convened by Emperor Constantine in 325 in modern-day Iznik, Turkey. Condemned Arianism as a heresy and produced the Nicene Creed.
- Creator's star
- A six-pointed star representing the six days of creation and six attributes of God the Creator.
- An object consisting of two intersecting bars, most commonly used as a Christian symbol or devotional object. Crosses come in a variety of forms and materials and may be small or large, plain or richly decorated.
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Bible and Theology: Two-Volume Set (Oxford Encyclopedias of the Bible) (Oxford University Press, 2015).
- The Oxford Encyclopedia of the Bible and Archaeology (Oxford Encyclopedias of the Bible) (Oxford University Press, 2013).
- Murray, Peter; Murray, Linda; Devonshire Jones, Tom, The Oxford Dictionary of Christian Art and Architecture (Oxford University Press, 2014).
- E. A. Livingstone, The Concise Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church (Oxford Paperback Reference) (Oxford University Press, 2013).
- Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms .
- Bercot, David W. (ed.), A Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs: A Reference Guide to More Than 700 Topics Discussed by the Early Church Fathers .
- The Blackwell Dictionary of Eastern Christianity .
- Cross, F. L. and E. A. Livingstone, The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church (Oxford University Press, USA, 1996).
|Title||Glossary of Christianity|
|Published||October 29, 2016|
|Last Updated||February 3, 2021|
|MLA Citation||“Glossary of Christianity.” ReligionFacts.com. 3 Feb. 2021. Web. Accessed 4 Mar. 2021. <religionfacts.com/christianity/glossary>|