Glossary of Buddhism
This glossary of Buddhism provides definitions of terms related to Buddhism, with links to full articles where available.
- abhaya mudra
- Buddhist hand gesture representing fearlessness.
- Amida Buddha
- (Japanese; Sanskrit Amitabha; "infinite light"). Celestial buddha who, while a bodhisattva, vowed to lead all beings to the Pure Land. Amida is the focus of devotion in Pure Land Buddhism and one of several revered buddhas of the Mahayana tradition.
- begging bowl
- Bowl used by Buddhist monks to collect alms from laypeople; also has symbolic significance.
- bhumisparsha mudra
- Buddhist hand gesture representing calling the earth to witness.
- conch shell
- Symbol of the fame of the Buddha's teachings.
- dharma wheel
- (Sanskrit dharmachakra). Buddhist symbol representing the Buddha's teachings. Often used as a symbol of Buddhism.
- dharmachakra mudra
- Buddhist hand gesture representing the turning of the wheel (of dharma).
- dhyana mudra
- Buddhist hand gesture representing meditation.
- endless knot
- Buddhist symbol representing the Buddha's endless wisdom and compassion.
- golden fishes
- (Sanskrit suvarnamatsya). Buddhist symbol of good fortune, fertility and salvation.