Glossary of Religion: W
Learn the definitions of religious terms and concepts with our extensive Glossary of Religion. Choose a letter above or explore the random terms below.
- Magazine produced and widely distributed by Jehovah's Witnesses, emphasizing prophecy and related topics.
- Ceremony or rite joining a couple in matrimony, with its attendant festivities. For the state of marriage, use "marriage (social construct)."
- wind horse
- Tibetan symbol of the soul, the four cardinal directions, well-being and good fortune.
- Study and exercise of supernatural and natural powers for benevolent or malevolent ends, encompassing in varying degrees magic, psychic powers, herbalism, divination, and communication with good or evil spirits.
- Word of Wisdom
- The Mormon health code revealed to Joseph Smith in 1833 (recorded in Doctrine & Covenants 89), which prohibits alcohol, tobacco and hot drinks, encourages plant foods, and use of meat sparingly.
- World Council of Churches
- The "fellowship of Churches which accept our Lord Jesus Christ as God and Savior" that was formally founded in Amsterdam on August 23, 1948.
- The reverent love and allegiance accorded a deity, idol, or sacred object, often expressed through ceremonies, prayers, or other religious rituals.
- Not-Being. Not synonymous with nothingness, wu is an immense void containing all potentialities. It is thus interdependent with yu, Being.
- (Chinese, "non-action.") The ideal for rulers as set out in the Tao te Ching.