Glossary of Religion: I
Learn the definitions of religious terms and concepts with our extensive Glossary of Religion. Choose a letter above or explore the random terms below.
- White cloth wound around the body during the hajj.
- Immaculate Conception
- The Christian doctrinal concept that the Virgin Mary was free from sin from the moment of her conception of Jesus Christ. Although this belief was promulgated as Roman Catholic dogma by Pope Pius IX in 1854, it has always been rejected as unbiblical by Protestants and, since 1854, the Orthodox Church has rejected it as well.
- impassibility of God
- Philosophical idea, influenced by Platonism, that God cannot suffer.
- (Latin, "let it be printed"). Official authorization to print a book or other work, usually granted by a bishop for Catholic publications.
- In general, to take on a bodily form. In Christianity, the event in which God became a man in Jesus of Nazareth. According to the Gospel of John: "The Word became flesh (Latin carne) and dwelt among us."
- Remission of the punishment, including purgatorial atonement, due by divine justice for sins whose guilt has been pardoned by the reception of the sacrament of penance.
- Genus comprising around 300 species of flowering plants; from the Greek word for a rainbow, referring to the wide variety of flower colors found among species. Irises are natives of Europe, northern Africa, and temperate regions of Asia and America; most species have tuberous (less commonly bulbous or fibrous) roots, sword-shaped equitant leaves, and showy flowers.
- (Arabic, "submission") Monotheistic faith based on the Qur'an and teachings of the Prophet Muhammad.