|Fast Facts: Atheism|
|Adherents||7.4 million self-identified atheists; 1.1 billion are religiously "unaffiliated"|
|Beliefs||There is no God or divine beings.|
|Texts||Influential works include those by Marx, Freud, Feuerbach, Voltaire, and Mark Twain. Notable modern authors include Richard Dawkins and Carl Sagan.|
Atheism is the lack of belief in any gods. It is not a religion, but a worldview that looks to science and reason instead of religion to answer the "big questions."
Table of Contents
- Aveling, Francis, “Atheism.” Herbermann, Charles George (ed.), The Catholic Encyclopedia (New York: Robert Appleton Company).
- “Atheism.” BBC Religion & Ethics.
- Hitchens, Christopher (ed.), The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever .
- McGowen, Dale, Atheism For Dummies .
- Whitmarsh, Tim, Battling the Gods: Atheism in the Ancient World .
- Bullivant, Stephen (ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Atheism .
- Martin, Michael (ed.), The Cambridge Companion to Atheism .
- Dawkins, Richard, The God Delusion .
- Navabi, Armin, Why There Is No God: Simple Responses to 20 Common Arguments for the Existence of God .
- Carl Sagan; Ann Druyan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark (Ballantine Books, 1997).