Fast Facts on the Bible
Go to the Bible Powerpoints page for Click here for more information.
- The Christian Bible consists of the Old Testament (OT) and New Testament (NT)
- "Bible" comes from Latin biblia, meaning "books"
- The word "testament" means "covenant"
- The Bible has 66 books
- The Bible was written by many different authors writing in many different times and places
- The Bible was written from about 1450 BC to 100 AD
- The Bible contains many literary genres - poetry, myth, wisdom literature, prophecy, letters, narratives
- The Bible was the first book to be printed, in 1454
- Miles Coverdale published the first English translation of the entire Bible in 1535
- The Bible has been translated into over 2,000 languages
- The longest book in the Bible is Psalms
- The shortest book in the Bible is 2 John
- The longest verse in the Bible is Esther 8:9
- The shortest verse in the Bible is John 11:35
- Go to the main page for the Old Testament
- The OT is almost identical to the Jewish Tanakh
- The OT was originally written in Hebrew
- The OT has 39 books (not counting the Apocrypha)
- The names of OT books in Hebrew are based on the first prominent word or phrase in that book
- The names of OT books in Greek (and English) are based on the general topic of the book
- The books of the OT are: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings, 1 & 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi.
- The first five books of the OT (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy) are known as the Five Books of Moses, the Pentateuch, or the Torah. They are traditionally held to have been written by Moses, but modern scholars have proposed that there were four or five authors.
- The book of Esther is the only book of the Bible that never mentions God
Fast Facts about the New Testament
- Go to main page for the New Testament
- The NT was originally written in Greek
- The writers of the NT used a Greek translation of the OT known as the Septuagint
- The NT has 27 books
- The NT is about the same size as the Qur'an
- The books of the NT are: Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts, Romans, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 & 2 Thessalonians, 1 & 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Hebrews, James, 1 & 2 Peter, 1, 2 & 3 John, Jude, Revelation