Glossary of Saints
The following terms are often used when talking about the rituals and practices related to the saints in the Catholic and Orthodox Churches.
- In Catholicism, the process by which a deceased person is declared Blessed. See Canonization of Saints.
- Title given to a deceased person who has reached the next-to-last step in canonization by living a holy life and performing one miracle. See Canonization of Saints.
- In Catholicism, the process by which a deceased person is declared a saint. See Canonization of Saints.
- The case or file of a would-be saint during the process of canonization. See Canonization of Saints.
- Congregation for the Causes of Saints
- Group of cardinals assigned to manage the causes of would-be saints. They grant permission to a bishop to open a tribunal on the cause of a saint. See Canonization of Saints.
- Feast Day
- The day of the year dedicated to honoring a particular saint, which is usually the day of the saint's death (i.e., the day the saint entered heaven). See Veneration of Saints.
- (Latin intercedare, plead on behalf of). The act of calling on a saint to help with something or to pray to God on one's behalf. See Intercession of Saints.
- A long prayer dedicated to the saints, usually recited antiphonally (responsively). See Veneration of Saints.
- (Latin novem, nine). Short prayer said to a particular saint for nine consecutive days, usually the nine days leading up to the saint's feast day. See Veneration of Saints.
- In general, any person who is now in heaven. In the Catholic Church, a deceased person who has lived a holy life and performed at least two miracles can be considered a saint (i.e., definitely in heaven). See Canonization of Saints.
- Servant of God
- Title given to someone being considered for sainthood but not yet declared Blessed or Venerable. See Canonization of Saints.
- Title given to a deceased person who has reached the second step in canonization by living a holy life but performed no confirmed miracles. See Canonization of Saints.
- "Chapter 15: Calling on the Canonized," Catholicism for Dummies, pp. 273-292.
- "Beatification and Canonization." The Catholic Encyclopedia <http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02364b.htm>.
- Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church