Shinar in the Bible
Shinar in the Old Testament
Shinar was a region in Mesopotamia, the plain between the Tigris and Euphrates. Here the rebels against God's will built the Babel tower (Gen. 11:2,3). Famed for its wheat (Herodotus 1:193). Derived from sheniy "two" and 'ar or nahar "rivers."Recommended:
- Return to Bible Places index page.
- Go to Christian biography index page.
- Go to Christianity beliefs index page.
- Go to Christian denominations index page.
- Go to Christian comparison charts index page.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, which is in the public domain (with minor edits).