Bezek in the Old Testament or Hebrew Bible(1) Bezek was the city of Adoni-bezek taken by Judah and Simeon (Jdg 1:4 f), in the territory allotted to Judah. It is somewhat doubtfully identified with Bezqah, about 3 miles Northeast of Gezer.
(2) Bezek was also the place where Saul marshaled his army before marching to the relief of Jabesh-gilead (1 Sam 11:8). Eusebius, Onomasticon speaks of two villages of this name 17 Roman miles from Shechem, on the way to Scythopolis. No doubt Heb: Khirbet Ibziq is intended. Here, or on the neighboring height, Heb: Ras Ibziq, a mountain 2,404 ft. above sea level, the army probably assembled.
- Return to Bible Places index page.
- Go to Christian biography index page.
- Go to Christianity beliefs index page.
- Go to Christian denominations index page.
- Go to Christian comparison charts index page.
International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, which is in the public domain.